No matter if you’re a student who’s involved in renovation projects or a mechanical engineer working on your project, you know that some works demand highly accurate measurements. In this post we will be discussing about best digital caliper.
You cannot afford to make mistake in measurements otherwise fittings of your components will not be accurate and this could hamper the success of your project. Hence we use calipers.
Taking measurements is one of the most important parts of any project, whether it involves cutting by hand, using a CNC machine , or 3D printing a model.
Getting an accurate measurement, though, can be difficult, especially when every detail counts. Sometimes, a standard ruler or tape measure just doesn’t cut it. Hence we use calipers.
Calipers have been around for centuries and considered to be the most accurate measuring tools. They have been used in many fields such as mechanical engineering, metalworking, forestry, woodworking, science and medicine.
You can find different types of calipers like vernier calipers, dial calipers, electric calipers and more lately digital calipers.
Digital caliper has various advantages over analog calipers which help them to make precise measurements. Hence we have compiled a list to help you make the right choice.
Buying Guide to Choose the Best Digital Calipers
You should learn everything about the product as an individual before purchasing it. So in order to provide these vital details for the digital calculator we provided a guide for buying.
The following guide will show you the way to identify the best digital calibration devices and select the right choice from the list. Let us talk about the important considerations when purchasing a digital caliper.
Things to consider before buying the best digital calipers
Digital caliper has multiple components that help their overall function and design.
They contain two measuring jaws, one inside and outside jaws to measure inside and outside diameters, a depth gauge.
An LCD screen display that shows the measurements on a digital screen, the main scale that shows the measuring range, and a knurled thumb roller that moves the jaws up and down the scale.
Digital caliper uses a digital display to provide small resolutions, meaning that you can achieve more precise measurements than with a ruler (or a similar non-digital tool).
When looking at a measuring tool, like a digital caliper or micrometer, there are a few things to consider. The first and perhaps most important consideration is the tool’s accuracy, or the tolerance at which a tool can take a measurement (e.g. ±0.01 mm). The lower this value is, the better!
Each of these components has attributes that affect its function, so when looking for the best digital caliper for your specific needs, understanding these elements and how they work can help you decide to make the best choice.
One of the important benefits of digital caliper is it’s ability to make extremely precise measurements. Digital caliper measures in increments of as small as 0.01 inches or 0.0005 inches, depending on the quality of the caliper. The electronic digital caliper components that measure the distance between the measuring jaws have the greatest influence on calipers’ accuracy level.
Digital caliper is made of polished stainless steel frames which helps in smooth measuring jaw movements. By including added grip for fingers to slide, the jaws can move up and down, and a large, textured driving thumbwheel also can assist in making more easier movements.
The overall measurement accuracy of a pair of digital caliper depends on a combination of the user’s skill and the unit’s individual features.
Digital calipers are made of carbon fiber, durable stainless steel, or plastic, and each material has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Stainless steel is the material most often used on high-end digital calipers.
Stainless steel calipers are durable, liquid, oil, dust resistant and are the most highly priced.
Carbon fiber is lightweight and provides a medium durability level. Its carbon polymer fibers are as strong as steel but with lighter weight.
But, carbon fiber isn’t as corrosion-resistant as stainless steel, and it can deteriorate more rapidly if exposed to water, dirt, or UV rays.
With some exceptions, carbon fiber calipers are generally more affordable than stainless steel digital calipers.
Plastic calipers are often the most affordable digital calipers and are also lightweight, but they’re not as durable.
Plastic digital calipers can be used for hobbly projects and are not recommended for professional projects.
Finally, composite calipers are a mix of plastic and carbon fiber that offer a middle ground between durability and affordability.
When you think of calipers, in all likelihood, you picture a set of measuring jaws that open and close on the upper portion of the measuring scale.
The depth gauge, the next tool, is a small rod that extends and reverse from the end of the caliper bar—used to measure the depths of holes, cavities, and more.
The highly useful depth gauge can be exceptionally fragile in low-quality calipers. If the depth gauge is of high importance for your needs, you need to ensure that it’s strong enough to withstand constant use.
Stainless steel and carbon fiber are usually the best, whereas plastic or composite materials aren’t recommended.
Some users require the measuring system to use the Imperial system (inches and feet), while others need the metric system (mm and cm).
Some measuring systems are more common around the world, but you may encounter both types. For example, various automobile makers use parts based on varied measuring systems.
Fortunately, almost all digital calipers display measurement units in both inches and millimeters.
A button on the LCD display appears to switch between both measuring systems. Standard measurements often are printed on the main scale.
Inside/Outside Caliper Jaws
The most regularly used parts of a digital caliper, the inside and outside jaws are used to make internal measurements and external measurements of any object.
They are located on the opposite side of the calipers’ main scale, and the outside jaws are larger than the inside jaws.
The outside jaws are used to measure the outside diameter of an object, while the inside jaws are utilized to measure the inside diameter of any particular object.
Similar to the depth gauge, the inside and outside jaws move as you turn the thumbwheel (locking screw) until the teeth come in contact with the object.
To ensure more accurate measurements, the digital calipers should have robust, rugged measuring jaws. You need to pay special attention to the construction quality of the inside jaws.
IP54 level of Protection Certificate
Some digital calipers are made to be used in harsh environments which are unfavorable to electronics, like outdoors or workshops.
In case this is a priority, make sure your digital caliper offers standard IP (or ingress protection) rating.
IP testing is done by a third-party certification process that certifies the environmental durability of electronic components.
The first number after “IP” means the item’s level of durability against solids, and the second number represents the tool’s level of moisture resistance.
For a digital caliper, IP54 is the industry standard. The “5” means it is dust resistant, while the “4” means it is liquid-resistant to splashes of water from all directions.
If your plan to use a digital caliper in an adverse environment, make sure you opt for calipers with an IP54 protection certificate.
Ease of Use
Taking elaborate measurements can be difficult, so most users look for calipers that are easy to use.
Thankfully, most of the characteristics that contribute to the accuracy, such as polished stainless steel parts and a large, textured thumbwheel, also make them easy to use.
Many extra features also help to make the calipers easier to use, such as a large LCD display and locking screw.
Additional Caliper Features
Along with the vital features listed above, you can look for several other added caliper features in digital calipers, that include:
- Extra Large LCD display screen
- The reset button, known as the “zero button,” enables the display measurement to be reset to 0
- The locking screw helps to lock the inside and outside jaws at a required place
- Automatic LCD display shutoff to save battery life
- Data transfer port to upload measurements to software programs
Top 10 Best Digital Calipers
1. Mitutoyo 500-195-30 Advanced Onsite Sensor Absolute Scale Digital Caliper, 0-4″ Range
The Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE digital caliper delivers accurate, repeatable outside dimension, inside dimension, depth and step measurements with accuracy and unrestricted speed. The caliper’s slide and jaws are constructed of hardened stainless steel with optional carbide-tipped jaws available. The impact-resistant, easy-to-ready LCD display is highly durable and provides large character height (9.0mm in height) which improves readability.
- Available in Metric and Inch/Metric models
- Available with or without SPC output capabilities
- Carbide-tipped jaws are available
- Thumb roller included only on calipers up to and including 300mm/12” models
- ABSOLUTE (ABS) linear scale eliminates the need for setting the origin point every time the micrometer is powered on; overspeed errors are also eliminated
- Stainless steel construction protects caliper components and ensures accurate performance for longer duration
- SPC output function allows for quick and easy data management in real time
- Functions include Origin Set, Zero-Setting, Data Output and inch/mm conversion (on inch/metric models only)
- Alarm: Low Voltage, counting value composition error
- Supplied in a fitted plastic case; 1000mm/40” model is supplied in a wooden case
2. iGaging Fastener Caliper Digital IP54 0-12″/0.0005″ Metric/Inch/Fraction 128th/32nd
Features of iGaging Digital Caliper IP54
- Easy to read super large display LCD
- igaging caliper has quick measuring speed of 120″ per second
- IP54: Splash water, oil and dust resistance
- Hardened stainless steel
- Inside and Outside measures
- Precision lapping finish
3. General Tools 14712 Fraction Plus Digital Fractional Caliper, Stainless Steel, 12-Inch
The #14712 12 In. Stainless Steel Digital Caliper can make inside, outside, depth and step measurements in inches or millimeters.
- Made of heavy-duty stainless steel
- Displays measuring range in fractional inches, decimal inches or millimeters
- Three measuring modes – Internal and external dimensions, & step measurements
- Auto power off
- Large LCD screen
- Power source: “SR44” battery (included)
4. Digital Caliper, Adoric 0-6″ Calipers Measuring Tool – Electronic Micrometer Caliper with Large LCD Screen, Auto-Off Feature, Inch and Millimeter Conversion
- Precise measurement: Measurement range: 0 – 6”/ 0 – 150mm; Resolution: 0.01”/ 0.1mm; Accuracy: ±0.2mm/0.01”. Perfect and accurate caliper measuring tool for household/DIY measurement. Please choose stainless steel digital caliper for more accurate measuring
- 4 measuring modes: This digital caliper can be used to Measure inside and outside diameter, depth and step with two sets of jaws and a probe. Powered by battery, comes with a pre-installed battery and a spare battery
- Inch/mm conversion: One button quick switch between two units: inch and millimeter, definitely save your time. Made of rugged plastic carbon fiber composites, durable and portable
- Zero setting function: The smart design allows you to set zero with an easy touch of a button and start a new measurement at any point of the scale, ideal for differential measuring
- Large LCD screen & auto off: The large and easy-to-read LCD display helps you get precise results quickly and easily, auto shutdown for saving battery after 5 minutes if without operation
- Liquid and dust resistance
- Stainless steel body
5. MOOCK Digital Caliper, Calipers Measuring Tool, Electronic Micrometer Caliper with LCD Screen, Inch Milimeter Fractions Conversion
- 1. [High Quality Standard]: This Digital Calipers 6 inch are made of full-covered stainless steel that is smooth to glide along the beam with depth-measurement probe and precision ground jaws. It also comes with IP Grade 54 to block out dust, and water splash that may otherwise affects the accuracy of the caliper.
- 2. [Precision&Accurate Measurement]: With an accuracy within .0005-inch/.01-mm, this digital caliper has been a great helper for both professionals and home use. This allows you to set zero and start a new measurement at any point of the scale and instantly converts between inch/millimeter/fractions with an easy touch of a button.
- 3. [Extra Large LCD Display]: Comes with a large easy-to-read LCD screen that shows instant readings with digital numbers, makes it so much more convenient than any vernier caliper or micrometer caliper. Measures internal and external dimensions, diameters, depth and steps in inch/millimeter/fractions.
- 4. [User-Friendly Functions] This digital caliper is equiped with grooved machine and roller thumb provides an easy fine adjustment, an accurate position lock for a sure adjustment, and comes with a brand new 3V battery, plus, with its 5 minutes non-operation auto-off function, this will never arrive with dead or weak batteries.
- 5. [Decent Tool Set]: Packed in a sturdy case with an extra 3V battery and a mini screwdriver for battery replacement. Makes a great choice ideas for machinists, woodworders, Jewelers and craft lovers. Comes with ONE YEAR WARRANTY for complete satisfaction you can count on!
6. REXBETI Digital Caliper, 6 Inch Caliper Measuring Tool, IP54 Waterproof Protection with Stainless Steel, Micrometer Vernier Caliper with Inch Metric Fraction, Large LCD Screen
- Polishing finish stainless steel allows for smooth operation and precision measurement
- Inch Metric Fractions, resolution: 0.0005″/0.01mm/1/128″, Accuracy: 0.001″ / 0.02mm
- IP54 protection: water drop and dust resistant
- Perfect measuring tool for reloading, jewelry making and home DIY
- Large LCD display for easy to read measurements
7. Clockwise Tools DCLR-0605 Electronic Digital Caliper Inch/Metric/Fractions Conversion IP54 Protection 0-6 Inch/150 mm Stainless Steel Body Super Large LCD Screen Auto Off Featured Measuring Tool
- Ip54 protection; Higher quality and lower price; inch/metric/fractions conversion; Home DIY and professional use are highly recommended
- Fine polished stainless steel (will stick with magnet) and NEW processing of depthometer’s groove give better looking, smooth sliding, and accurate result
- Measure Range: 0-6 inches/150mm; Display: 3/4″x 2″ (20mmx 50mm) extra large LCD; Accuracy: ±0.001″/0.03mm; Resolution: 0.0005″/0.01mm; 1/128″
- Featured RS232 Data transfer port. Port for data transfer only, not for charging. Must connect with “DTCR-02” Cable (NOT INCLUDED) to make data transfer to PC. CANNOT CONNECT WITH REGULAR USB CABLE.
- Each digital caliper has been fully calibrated before ready to sell; Patent in the US; Comes with one extra battery
It can perform regular functions like measuring internal and external dimensions, depth and step measurements.
This one is slightly expensive but you may find other affordable digital calipers.
8. GROZ Digital Caliper with Dual Measurement System
Electronic Digital Caliper with Dual Mode Measurement System. IP67 Compliant. Metal digital calipers with dual mode measuring range – in. and mm.
Rugged stainless steel caliper body with zinc die cast display. Groz quality backed by craftsmanship. Large high contrast lcd digital readout.
Measurement Range: 0-6 inch. Having set standards of excellence, the constant quest is on bettering them.
Stringent systems and processes are constantly monitored to ensure conformance and consistency at all stages of production. All our processes comply with the ISO 9001 Quality System Standard.
9. NEIKO 01401A 6-Inch Electronic Digital Caliper, Stainless Steel, Large LCD Screen, Measurement Conversions for Inches, Millimeters, and Fractions
- DIGITAL CALIPER MEASURING TOOL: Our 6-Inch Electronic Digital Caliper tool provides you with precise and accurate measurements. Use this digital ruler to find the diameter, depth, and step measurement of the materials you’re working with.
- DIGITAL MEASUREMENTS: This digital caliper has a 1-button quick-change feature that easily converts between inch, fraction, and millimeter modes. Each number appears on the large and highly visible LCD screen.
- VERSATILE MEASUREMENT TOOL: Our caliper measuring tool contains 2 sets of jaws and a probe to measure inside and outside depth and step measurements. Use these measuring calipers for wood, jewelry, metal, or other materials.
- ACCURACY & PRECISION: This measuring caliper tool measures from 0″–6″ and 0–150 mm and has a resolution of 0.0005″ / 1/128″ / 0.01 mm and an accuracy of 0.001″ / 0.02 mm. This tool helps eliminate errors and miscalculations.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: Made with polished and hardened stainless steel, the caliper’s frame has a durable feel with a knurled thumb roller and a locking screw for smooth sliding and accurate position locking.
10. ACEMETER Digital Caliper,6 Inch Electronic Micrometer Vernier Caliper Measuring Tool,Stainless Steel Large LCD Screen,0.0005″/0.01mm Resolution,Inch/Millimeter Conversion and Automatic Power Switch
- 【Accurate Calipers Measuring Tool & Auto Off】This digital caliper adopts glass fixed grid craft,high manufacturing technology, not subject to temperature changes and greatly ensures the stability of the measurement. Powered by battery and It will automatically turn off after 5 minutes of non-use to save power.
- 【Unit Conversion & Comfortable to use】These Digital Calipers have a one-key button to quickly switch from inch/millimeter.The measuring faces adjust with a machine-grooved, knurled thumb roller that provides an easy gliding, accurate position lock for a sure adjustment.
- 【Extreme Accuracy Measure Range】0-6 inches/150mm; Display: 1.88″x0.67″ (48mm x 17mm) extra large screen; Accuracy: ±0.001″/0.02mm; Resolution: 0.0005″/0.01mm.
- 【4 Measuring Modes and Zero Seetting】 Digital caliper measure indoor, outside, depth, length, width with two sets of jaw and a probe.You can use zero setting at any position within measuring range. The smart design allows you to easily reset to zero by pressing a button and start a new measurement at any point on the scale, which is very suitable for differential measurement.
- 【Wide Application】The vernier calipers packed in a sturdy blue protective case with extra coin cell batteries, a mini rag and a user manual. This caliper measuring tool is ideal for woodworking, jewelry making, etc. It is widely used in home, industrial and automotive applications, it’s also an excellent choice for mechanics, engineers, woodworkers, hobbyists.
How to use a Digital caliper?
You can choose the best digital caliper, but you need to know how to use the caliper tool. Hence we have listed some tips on reading a digital caliper.
At First, make sure you have “zero out”/reset the reading on the LCD display before taking any measurement.
Once the display shows “0,” begin rotating the thumbwheel till the inside or outside jaws make adequate contact with the object. Hence it is a useful diameter measurement tool.
You can use the outside jaws to read the outside dimension of the object, and use the inside jaws for measuring the inside dimension.
To measure the depth of an object, utilize the depth gauge. Make sure the bottom of the digital caliper is at right angles to the object being measured and slide the thumb wheel till the point of the depth gauge reaches the bottom of the object.
- Tighten the locking screw after taking a measurement to store it.
- It is a must to calibrate your calipers (using a calibration gauge or professionally) once a year to guarantee accurate measurements.
- Frequently check for signs of any damage, such as scratches, on the jaws and scale that could influence the correctness of your measurements.
FAQ – Best Digital Calipers
What is the most accurate digital calipers?
Vernier calipers can measure accurately to one-hundredth of a millimeter(mm) and one thousand of an inch. Using a vernier caliper, you can make more precise measurements than you could with regular rulers. On a vernier caliper, there are two types of scales.
Which caliper brand is best?
Mitutoyo digital caliper allows you to take accurate measurements. The mitutoyo caliper delivers highly accurate, four way measurement capabilities.
Who makes snap on digital calipers?
Snap-on was created in 1924 and operates from a corporate headquarters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, for 3.2bn shares. Starrett Corporation is an American manufacturer and distributor of precision tooling and gages for industrial, commercial and industrial customers worldwide.
Are dial or digital calipers more accurate?
Dial caliper generally comes in either metric or imperial (but not both), which means you might need two of them; while a digital caliper can often convert from metric to imperial on-the-fly.
Final thoughts – Best Digital caliper for precise measurements
Hope this buyers guide has been helpful to you in finding the best electronic digital caliper for your purpose.
The best digital caliper will be the one which is most suited to your particular requirements.