Did you know that marketing strategy is incomplete if it does not include digital marketing components?
This year statista reported 13% increase in digital marketing budgets compared to the previous year.
You and we all are in the digital age.
In times of 24/7 connectivity, it is not option to have a digital marketing strategy, its a must to follow the journey of your digital consumers and nurture them throughout their online sales cycle and provide them a positive impact about your brand.
In this blog post you will get to know about digital marketing basics, my goal is to make sure you have clear options about digital marketing and the actionable way forward.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the future. You need to understand what exactly digital marketing is and what e processes and terminologies that makes up a successful digital marketing campaign.
Here comes another question why do you need digital marketing?
You use digital marketing if you have below some or many of these goals you want to achieve
- You want to drive traffic to your website or blog to generate leads
- Create interest in your brand/service/product and get leads
- To nurture your audience by regularly educating and engaging with them
- Create awareness about your brand by mass b2c campaigns
- Personalized marketing based on customer requirements
- Position yourself as an authority on any subject online.
- Conversion in terms of revenue from your efforts on digital marketing
To achieve a goal you need to set up objectives first and give it a timeline.
What are the skills required to become a digital marketer?
Listed below are the skills required to become a digital marketer
- Passion – In digital marketing you have to be resourceful, ie you need to learn new skills regularly, and need to upgrade your skills. Hence if you are passionate about it then no matter what you will keep learning and growing in this field.
- Developing content – You need not be the best writer out there but you need to be good at English. To start with your copywriting needs to be simple, easy to understand and grammatically correct. Content needs to be valuable, solves problems and can be humorous.
- WordPress – WordPress is easy to use platform to design and develop your own blog. WordPress is a search engine friendly platform, here you can create amazing content. You do not need to be a developer to start a wordpress blog, you just need to understand how it works, once you figure it all things fall into place.
- Basic Design Skills – You do not need to be a skilled graphic designer. But you definitely need to know what kind of visuals work, images which needs be used. There is one very good tool Canva which you can get started with right away, it helps you to quickly design any type of design for your banner, social post or any other required design.
- Data Analytics – This topic useful as whatever effort you do in digital marketing, ie social media, SEO or content, you need to analyze the results you are getting out of that effort. First step here is to get google analytics integrated to your site or blog, also understand concepts of A/B split testing.
- Learn and Take Action – Learning something and getting certificate is useful, but implementing it and getting results is much more important. Hence you need to put into practice what you learn. Unless you take action you will not get results, so keep taking byte sized actions every day to reach your goal.
- Upgrading Skills – Digital marketing is ever evolving field, hence regular learning and upgrading skills is a must. Like what used to work in digital marketing few years back may not be that relevant now.
What are the Digital Marketing Components?
1. Your Website or Landing Page
Having a website or even a simple landing page is no longer an option . Apart from social media, the first page people will reach out to find about your business is your website.
On your website you can show your customers how your business or product solves their problem. Show them your portfolio, case studies, testimonials and more. You canhave your unique brand with colors, images, fonts and videos.
2. Email Marketing
What is email marketing?
It is permission based marketing, wherein you send regular, valuable content to your subscribers to help them. It is one to one marketing so you can introduce your products and services when you send your subscribers email.
Make sure you are only sending mail when any user has opted-in to your mailing list. Sending mails to bought databases or bulk sending mails without permission is known as spamming and it is not a good practice which can also lead to blacklisting your domain.
Why should you use email marketing?
As per campaignmonitor every dollar spent on email marketing can generate $44 which is 4400% return on investment. But it needs to be done in right way, in terms of way you interact with your subscribers.
Email marketing can be done in following ways
- Free offer (Free e-book or course)
- Cold Mailing (one-to-one)
- Support (customer service)
- Drip Marketing Sequence (E-Course)
You can set up forms, pop ups on your website or blog and ask visitors to subscribe to your newsletter, opt-in to get a free e-book or e-course.
Drip email Marketing is best to help nurture your audience. Drip marketing offers complete automation. Here you can send free educational series of emails, free consulting, free ebook, or you can send automated series of 3 or 5 emails to any person who is a potential lead for your product or service.
3. Content Marketing
Content marketing is the form of marketing that is focussed on creating, publishing and distributing content for a focussed audience online. Your content can be in the form of blog posts, articles, videos or podcasts.
It helps to build trust and build your brand online. You need to build content with a strong objective, which can provide value to your audience.
You must have heard many times content is king, you can drive traffic with valuable content, in return you can generate enquiries which ultimately leads to revenue generation.
This is the organic way which your website can use to show up on google search engine listings when a certain keyword is searched on Google. This is termed as search engine optimization.
Majority of traffic comes from google listings. Hence you need to keep your website optimized for google search.
SEO is done in two phase process, on page SEO and Off page SEO
On page SEO is the factors which you can control on your own website, while off page SEO means ranking factors which occur off your website. Like backlinks from other websites, you gain this when other websites or people on social media share your content.
When you optimize your site with simple and useful user interface which is valuable for your visitor and also the content is of top quality, then you can build traffic organically with the help of SEO.
5. Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is the use of social media channels to connect with your audience to attract, nurture, engage, build your brand, increase sales, generate leads and drive traffic to your website.
You can drive traffic from social media to your website, social selling, drive enquiries for your business.
Its big thing now, it is about online reputation management, word of mouth marketing, personal branding, social crm, cloud sourcing, customer sourcing, PR, recruitment and employer branding. If you complain on social, it’s the reputation of that brand on stake, so the brand for example Airtel or Jio will reply you as quickly as possible.
6. Pay Per Click or Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing which is also known as PPC or Pay per click or paid marketing, this is when you bid for keywords to show your links on top of the SERP (search engine result pages). Search engine marketing can be implemented in google, bing, yahoo etc
This works with bidding on keywords, hence if a keyword “Digital Marketing in Mumbai” is worth Rs 20 then if you want 1000 clicks you will have to pay Rs 20,000.
Once user clicks on the ad he reaches your landing page, your landing page should have relevant contents as per the offer you made in the ad. If your offer is not relavant and useful for the user then he will close your page and your ad money is wasted. Hence you need a well optimized landing page.
Google also supports video ads via youtube and display ads on relevant google ad network sites.
7. Video Marketing
Video marketing is marketing in the form of a video. It’s incredibly effective in today’s times—take a look at these video marketing statistics:
- A video is 50 times more likely to get organic page ranks in Google than plain text
- 50% of the consumers who watch online product videos say it helps them make more confident buying decisions.
- People who see videos stay on a website two minutes longer on average and are 64% more likely to make a purchase transaction.
- U.S. consumers now watch up to six hours of digital video daily.
- After Google, YouTube is the second largest search engine out there.
- Videos allow you to boost branding efforts and build trust. They’re like a Netflix—for a fraction of the price.
The best marketing videos are under 60 seconds—in fact, they should be under 10 seconds for maximum impact. Because consumers prefer short videos, they are more likely to watch yours if they know you provide quick, succinct details. To get started, we recommend making the following videos into your marketing plan:
- How-to videos about your products and services
- Customer testimonials
- Company culture videos
- Videos that highlight the benefits of using your products or services
Get started today! What you start with will directly depend on what stage you are on your digital marketing journey.
But do not delay start with any one component of digital marketing which you feel you can succeed in, get some results in one component and then move on to another component.
All the Best!